Pages

Tuesday, July 27, 2021

English - How to Find the Solution to a Moral Dilemma

Hi Everyone!

Make sure to check out my friends blog, shes got great content! 

https://hhssofiam.blogspot.com/

This is our first week back from the holidays and this is also my first blog post. Speaking of blog posts, this blog is required from our English class. 

So today I will be talking about ¨The Trolley Problem¨ you may know this or you may have heard it but in other terms. However, if you haven't heard of it I will explain it to you. 

The Trolley Problem 

The Trolley problem is used as an example of a moral dilemma, which is made from a scenario. Of which where a runaway trolley is racing down the rail track and it is going towards 5 workers. These 5 workers can't escape for somewhat reason, but one person (supposedly you) is standing next to a switch. Which changes the route of where the train goes, however on the other route there is one other worker. 

If this were real we would be put into an overwhelming and pressuring situation, where you had picked. Whether you would save 5 people but sacrifice 1, or save 1 and sacrifice 2. 

I will now be telling you my perspective of this situation, but would also most likely be someone else's choice. I would choose to sacrifice 1 person and save the other five, I know 1 life loss would be just as important as 5. But if you think about their families I find that the other 5 would take priority. Maybe one of them would be made the last generation of a family or something like that. 

The Fat Man

Another similar situation or another perspective of this same situation is that there are still 5 people who might die. But there is no other route, however, you will still be sacrifice 1 life, the scenery of this situation. Is that there is a bridge over the track, you are standing on the bridge but there is also one other person. He is considered a very large and heavy person, on the train track, there are 5 workers. Who once again cannot escape for somewhat reason, however, you have the option. Of pushing the large guy next to you off the bridge and because of his large mass he is able to stop the train. Or ignore the situation and let 5 people die, once again this is another moral dilemma. 

If it were me I would have obviously hesitated a lot but in the end, I would push the man off, saving the other 5. However, I know for a fact that I would be deliberately killing someone. But it was not my intention to kill him rather me wanting to save the other 5. I would pick this option because I would not want the burden of ignoring 5 lives on my shoulders. I would rather want to know I did something. But if this 1 person was someone who was close to me I would honestly ignore the situation. It may be harsh but that would be how I prioritise. 

Jim Carrey

Another moral dilemma example uses Jim Carrey as the victim, now you must be wondering why I said, victims. The situation briefly explained: 

¨The dilemma is the same, except that you recognise the guy standing alone as the actor and comedian Jim Carrey. And this is “Dumb and Dumber”-era Jim Carrey. In fact, he’s in costume, and has that bowl haircut he sported in the eminently quotable 1994 film. Remembering all of those funny lines makes you smile. What a great movie.

The five tied-up people are also Jim Carrey—clones, you assume—but they’re the modern, anti-vaxxer version, with full beards and dead eyes.¨

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/daily-shouts/variations-of-the-trolley-problem

I would have pushed let the 5 other clones die, and in my opinion, nothing beats the original's personal traits. But also because if they are clones you could always make more, as you still have the original Jim Carrey. 

The Thread

¨In this variation, there is no second track but there is another man standing nearby, between the trolley and the five helpless people. If you shove him onto the tracks, his body will likely stop the trolley. You know nothing about this man except that at this very moment he’s on his phone composing a tweet that begins with the word “thread.”

Also, he’s vaping.¨

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/daily-shouts/variations-of-the-trolley-problem

During this situation I think I would choose to push the fat man off, I know he didn't do anything and I don't even know him. That's why I can't always be sure that he was a good man and the fact that he vapes. Adding to that fact he must be, frankly speaking, is obese or overweight. If he would be able to stop a train, his life would have already been cut short so that would be. My support for my reason to push him off. 

The Long Overcoat

¨You can’t be a hundred percent sure, but it looks like the person standing alone is actually two small people, one standing on the other’s shoulders, sharing a long overcoat. Could they be children? Who are they trying to fool? And why? In any case, they’re probably up to no good.

Does that merit a death sentence, though?¨

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/daily-shouts/variations-of-the-trolley-problem

It does seem suspicious but we are also not completely sure whether it is one man or two children. Either way, it is something you would be curious about, and depending on how this ¨prop¨ or disguise. As described in movies you would think that he would be a bad guy from first sight. So I would hesitate but my instinct would be to flip the switch so I would be saving the 5 people. 

Adolf Hitler

The lone man is Adolf Hitler. Actually, this one is kind of a no-brainer, isn’t it? Not sure why it’s even listed here.

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/daily-shouts/variations-of-the-trolley-problem

Without hesitation, I would most likely flip the switch and kill Adolf Hitler, I mean I guess I would be doing everyone a favour. 

The Violinist

¨Again, the person standing alone is actually two people. But this time one of them is a world-famous violinist who’s been surgically attached to the other person. And you think, “Wait, that’s another thought experiment altogether. The abortion one. What the hell is going on here?”

Whatever is going on, it looks like the one person has had just about enough of the other person’s fucking violin playing. He would probably welcome death.¨

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/daily-shouts/variations-of-the-trolley-problem

Well I have no idea if the other person who was not a violinist was even willing to be surgically attached. As he was already willing to die and it seemed like the violinist was not a considerate person at all. I would figure that it would be OK if I like this ´person´ or as I could say these people die. 

The Henchmen

¨Same dilemma as the original, except that you wouldn’t be pulling the lever yourself. One of your henchmen would pull it. From your position, many yards away, you would look your henchman in the eye and nod, almost imperceptibly. He would understand.

P.S. In this variation, you have henchmen. Because you’re a mob boss or something.¨

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/daily-shouts/variations-of-the-trolley-problem

Looking at the situation since I'm a mob boss my life must be pretty valuable, no wonder people want to kill me. But because of my importance I have henchmen standing by the lever. So my choice would be to just tell him to pull the lever. 

The Chiselled Features

¨The lone man is athletic and attractive, whereas the five others are not, to put it charitably. This adds yet another wrinkle. Not because attractive people are more deserving of life than ugly ones are, but because—at a moment with so much at stake—you noticed such superficial traits in the first place.

What does that say about you?¨

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/daily-shouts/variations-of-the-trolley-problem

My decision wouldn't change from saving 5 people, just because the lone person is attractive. That is no reason to sacrifice and let 5 innocent people die, he may be innocent but 5 more lives are more valuable. But then again we can't even be sure to whether he is a good person or not. Also there will always be another attractive guy somewhere in the world where may I meet. 

The Bowling Pins

¨Instead of lying across the tracks, the five bound people are standing, arranged like bowling pins. While still horrific, you have to admit that this is a little funny—you can’t help but hear that “bowling-ball-knocks-pins-over” sound effect in your head.¨

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/daily-shouts/variations-of-the-trolley-problem

Fortunately in this situation I have great humour but is quite dark, sadly I don't have that trait in real life. In the end we have to be mature and pull ourselves together because it is a life threatening situation. I would still decide to flip the switch and direct the trolley the other way. 

The Bluetooth 

¨You know nothing about the lone man, but the five people tied up are all wearing Bluetooth headsets. Not such an easy choice, is it?

You feel paralysed, so you decide to seek advice online. You take out your phone, open Twitter, and write, “O.K., Internet hive mind . . . ”

The trolley hits you at 40 m.p.h. You never had a chance.¨

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/daily-shouts/variations-of-the-trolley-problem

Well in the first I shouldn't have went on my phone and it took me way too long, since i'm a small person. I would've went flying and the trolley still would've hit the five people but If i were really there. Bluetooth headsets don't matter to me I would just quickly flip the switch before the trolley gets too close. 

Thanks for checking out my blog!

pls comment any feedback I need :)

















No comments:

Post a Comment

Please structure your comments as follows:
Positive - Something done well
Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what they had to say
Helpful - Give some ideas for next time or Ask a question you want to know more about